Rest / Documentary (2016)
Breathing pauses of people on the road - a road movie upside down.
Documentary / 60min / 2016 / DCP / Multiple languages (Engl.subtitles)
Concept, Director & Producer: Iris Blauensteiner / Director of Photography: Carolina Steinbrecher / Editor & Dramaturgy: Svenja Plaas / Sound Recording: Norbert Bichler, Chris Kuchner / Sounddesign: Clemens Wenger / Music: Mira Lu Kovacs / / English translation - Alexey Hartlieb-Shea / Production-Manager: Carla Maria Losch / Supported by Austrian Federal Chancellery Arts & Culture and City of Vienna - Culture department MA7
The residents of a Viennese truck-stop and a nearby camping-ground share a common need: Resting and relaxing in between traveling. Be it vacation or because of work, the visitors take their private spaces with them. The everyday rituals performed at the rest stop, tell stories about the personalities and situations of those who make these small spaces their home for the night.
“Iris Blauensteiner’s documentary film REST depicts places that are far from home: a truck-stop and a campsite along one of the busiest highways - Donauufer Autobahn - next to Vienna. Through strict tableaus, she portrays tourists and workers whose travels have been voluntary or involuntary interrupted, as soon as their vehicle comes to a standstill: camper vans that have reached their holiday destination and trucks that have to rest on sundays and public holidays due to fixed driving times are transformed into small replacements for a temporary home. Iris Blauensteiner gets intimate insights into the mobile homes, into daily rituals and personal stories: a life “on the road” does not only entail freedom and movement, but also loneliness and stasis.” (YOUKI International Youth Media Festival)
* FESTIVALS: This human world, Vienna, december 5, 2017 / One with a movie Camera - International Ethnografic Film Festival Marburg (Germany), october 29, 2017 / Architektur.Film.Sommer,
Movie-nights in the yard of the Architecture Centre in the Museums Quartier Vienna, august 23, 2017
* SCREENINGS: Sehsaal Filmlounge, Vienna, september 24, 2020 / Academic Film Center Belgrade, october 23, 2019 / dotdotdot - Open Air Kurzfilmfestival Vienna, july 19, 2018 / YOUKI – International Youth Media Festival, Special-Program „Road to Roots“, Wels (Austria) november 22, 2017 / Cinema Next - Special „Drifters & Drivers“, Vienna, june 13, 2017
* EXHIBITIONS: Bijenale Mladih - Youth Biennal Belgrade, july 29 - september 5, 2021 / Solo-Exhibition „Sonjin septembar 2019: Iris Blauenštajner“, Umetnička galerija Nadežda Petrović, Čačak, september 3 - october 31, 2019 / „The law of common good – Democracy between utopia and discomfort“, SOHO in Ottakring Festival Vienna, june 2-16, 2018
* TV: ”Oktoskop” OktoTV, april 22 april 29 and july 1, 2018, september 26, 2021
* ONLINE: Kino VOD Club Austria, from 2018 / Sooner, from september 2020 / Realeyz - Indie Film Network, 2018-2020
Stay connected on: