the_other_images / Shortfilm (2018)
A desktop movie – (hi)stories of twenty-first-century cinema.
Experimental essayfilm / DCP / 17min / 2018
Concept, Realization, Production: Iris Blauensteiner / Music, Sound Design, Sound Mixer: Rojin Sharafi / Voice-Over, Actress: Judith Mauthe / Technical Consultant: Matthias Writze / Script Consultant: Irmgard Fuchs / Research: Flora Löffelmann / Re-recording Mixer: Rudolf Pototschnig / English Version: Wortschatzproduktion, Stefania Schenk Vitale / Supported by: ORFIII, Austrian Federal Chancellery Arts and Culture, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, ARTE Creative / Realized as part of the program „Pixel, Bytes & Film“
A hard drive, 2.8 terabyte leftover data from a project that was shot 10 years ago. In 2008, the author and filmmaker Iris Blauensteiner made her first short movie. Now she sifts through this waste material: outtake scenes, photographs, sound files, e-mails, script passages, discarded ideas. This data was archived and well stored, but time has taken its toll. Old data formats cannot be played anymore because they are no longer compatible with current players. The multitude of read errors and image distortions disallow a comfortable recollection of the past, the pictures and sounds are not what they used to be. Ghostly, eerily magical scenes arise from the digital waste material and read errors, they reach into the visible and audible spectrum. Memories are recycled. They require a different cinematic experience, a new narrative, a different film.
„the_other_images“ is an experimental documentary short film. It raises the question how memory and remembering is possible when all the digital storages fail or cannot be accessed, postulating a possible answer in form of recycling and reutilizing the digital archive.
„Using mutated, nearly illegible material that is marked by decay, Iris Blauensteiner negotiates the potential of rejected images and the issue of storing digital memories: a desktop movie – (hi)stories of twenty-first-century cinema.“ (Michelle Koch, Diagonale Catalogue, 2018)
*AWARDS: Sonja-Savić-Award & Significant Achievement at Alternative Film/Video Festival Belgrade 2018
* FESTIVALS: Alternative Film/Video - Festival of New Film and Video, Belgrade, december 12-16, 2018 / Furora Filmfestival Berlin, december 7-8, 2018 / Norwegian Short Film Festival - Kortfilmfestivalen Grimstad, june 13-17, 2018 / Diagonale - Festival of Austrian Film, Graz, march 13-18, 2018
* SCREENINGS: Cinema Next Special - „My other images“, Vienna, february 5, 2019 & december 11, 2018 / „White light II“, Vienna Art Week/ Medienwerkstatt Vienna, november 23, 2018 / frame(o)ut
- digital film festival at MQ Vienna, august 18, 2018 / „White Light“ (Golden Pixel Cooperative), Metro Kinokulturhaus Vienna, june 21 and 24, 2018
* TV: ORF III, february 11 and 12, 2018
* ONLINE: Arte Creative, february, 13 - may 13, 2019 / Realeyz - Indie Film Network